Freaks and Creeps
LEARNING TASK EPISODE
Upper Primary, Junior Secondary
Write definitions to explain the difference between the following terms:
Many animals appear in Devil Island, including the following: pademelon, wallaby, quoll, Tasmanian devil, echidna, wombat, cat, platypus, crayfish.
• Which of these animals is the odd one out and why?
• Which animals in the list above are monotremes?
• Which animals are marsupials?
• Which are mammals?
• Which animal is feral (not naturally occurring in Tasmania)?
Choose two of the animals from Devil Island and compile a fact file about them including the following:
• What type of animals they are
• Average weight and height when fully grown
• Average lifespan
• Range or distribution
• Preferred habitat (where they like to live)
• Diet (what they like to eat)
• How young are born and raised
• Average size and weight of young when born
• Defence mechanisms
• Major threats (if any)
Write a description of the Tasmanian tiger in about 50 words, including what type of animal it was, what it looked like and what happened to it. Accompany your description with a drawing of the tiger.
The Tasmanian devil has a problem. Do some Internet research to help you write 100 words explaining what the problem is and what action has been taken to control it.
Do some Internet research to find answers to the following questions:
• What was Gondwana?
• What caused it to break up?
• How long ago did it break up?
• When did Tasmania become an island?
• What caused this to happen?
Write a definition to explain the meaning of the term bio-geographic isolation. Give five examples from Tasmania to illustrate your definition.
In about 100 words, explain the differences between mammals, marsupial and monotremes, giving two examples of each.
Compare and contrast the Tasmanian Devil and Tasmanian Tiger. Write a 50-word description of each, and a further 50 words to explain what they have in common and how they differ.
Do some Internet research to find out about biosecurity:
• What is it?
• Why is it important?
• What biosecurity rules do visitors to Tasmania have to observe?
• In your opinion, are the rules tough enough, or could they be improved? Explain why.