Sometimes, even in our dog-eat-dog world, particularly epic meals catch our attention. So it was with the nearly 5-metre female Burmese python that recently swallowed a 35-kilogram female deer near Florida‘s Everglades National Park.
Neither hunter nor prey survived the ordeal—the snake was shot in the head with a shotgun, per protocol, according to CNN—but the graphic pictures later told the tale.
Burmese pythons are infrequent eaters, so they’re gluttons on the rare occasions when they do eat. In fact, I just wrote a story last week about how their hearts and other organs expand to help digest their giant dinners. (The short answer—fatty acids in their blood.) The reptiles kill by constricting—they’ll ambush a likely meal, grab hold with backward-curving teeth, and wrap around the victim, suffocating it to death. The snakes then open their hinged jaws wide to swallow their prey whole.
The arrival of the 6-metre reptiles into Florida swamps a few decades ago “was the biggest, [most] devastating problem that Florida ever could have imagined,” Kenneth Krysko, senior herpetologist at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville, told me for a story I wrote on Florida’s invasive pythons in 2009.
Since the Southeast Asian snake has taken up residence in the state, “dozens of species of native wildlife, from white-tailed deer to 183-centimetre alligators to birds, have been found in the digestive tracts of Burmese pythons,” wildlife biologist Robert Reed, who studies invasive reptiles for the U.S. Geological Survey in Fort Collins, Colorado, told me for the same story.
Indeed, in 2005, a 14-metre Burmese python literally busted its gut eating a 2-metre-long American alligator. Writes my colleague Victoria Jaggard:
“Wildlife researchers with the South Florida Natural Resources Center found the dead, headless python in October 2005 after it apparently tried to digest a two-metre-long American alligator. The mostly intact dead gator was found sticking out of a hole in the midsection of the python, and wads of gator skin were found in the snake’s gastrointestinal tract. The gruesome discovery suggests that the python’s feisty last meal might have been simply too much for it to handle.”
A year later, firefighters in the Malaysian village of Jabor were called in to remove a bloated python that had eaten a pregnant sheep, National Geographic News reported in 2006.
PYTHON EATS HYENA
The reptile had swallowed an entire pregnant sheep and was too full to slither away and digest its supersize meal. But the stress of being captured likely triggered the python to purge—it eventually regurgitated the dead ewe, we reported.
Yet my favourite story of a python with eyes too big for its stomach is that of Houdini, a 13.5-metre Burmese python that ate a queen-size electric blanket, complete with electrical cord and control box, in 2006.
The blanket’s wiring extended through about 2.5 metres of digestive tract of the 27-kilogram reptile—which, miraculously, lived. The blanket probably got tangled up with the snake’s rabbit dinner, owner Karl Beznoska of Ketchum, Idaho, told the Associated Press at the time.
Now that’s what you call a shocking situation.
Header: PHOTO COURTESY OF SHUTTERSTOCK