Puma (also called Mountain Lion, Cougar)
Scientific name: Puma concolor
• The puma can kill and drag prey up to seven times its own weight.
• Mountain lions like to prey on deer, though they also eat smaller animals such as coyotes, porcupines, and raccoons.
• These cats employ a blend of stealth and power, stalking their prey until an opportunity arrives to pounce, then going for the back of the neck with a fatal bite. They will hide large carcasses and feed on them for several days.”
• Mountain lions can jump 18 feet (5.5 meters) from the ground into a tree, and they have been known to jump 20 feet (6.1 meters) up or down a hillside.
• They can also run fast and have a flexible spine like a cheetah’s to help them maneuver around obstacles and change direction quickly.