People often throw coins into ponds to wish for luck, but for a green sea turtle that was living in a park pond along the coast of eastern Thailand, good luck was not what she received.
After consuming 915 coins, amounting to 11 pounds, the 25-year-old female turtle died.
Nicknamed Omsin, meaning "piggy bank," the turtle was first rescued by a member of the Thai navy last week, who saw her showing signs of distress. After being brought to a veterinary clinic, Omsin received a four-hour surgery to remove the coins.
The turtle initially appeared to be doing well, but a second surgery was required a week after the first to repair the animal's damaged intestines.
Roongroje Thanawongnuwech, from Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University, told the Associated Press that intestinal damage—likely from the coins—was inhibiting protein intake. Nickel toxicity 200 times the safe dose for the species also appeared to have damaged her immune system.
Dr. Nantarika Chansue was the veterinarian who led the effort to remove the coins from the turtle's stomach. In a post on her Facebook page she wrote, "Thank you for being my friend... We did our best, but it was not good enough."