- As the New South Wales Premier was about to cut the ribbon to open the Sydney Harbour Bridge, a retired cavalry officer rode forward on a horse and cut the ribbon with his sword. The man was carted off to a mental hospital, and the opening went on.
- In 2005, Parliament House security guards were banned from addressing people as “mate”. The ban lasted just one day.
- Hundreds of female convicts once mooned the Governor.
- When some space debris from NASA’s Skylab crashed into the West Australian town of Esperance, the council charged the space agency $400 for littering. NASA has yet to pay.
[NASA's Skylab space station]
- Until 1902, it was illegal to swim at Australia’s public beaches during daylight hours.
- Former Prime Minister Bob Hawke has a place in the Guinness World Records for downing 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds.
- Australia’s first police force was made up of well-behaved convicts.
- Australia once went to war with emus. Spoiler alert: we lost.