1. Around seventy cats live in the basement of the State Hermitage Museum. The cats were first brought to the grounds to control mice and rats.
2. The Hermitage holds the greatest collection of Rembrandt artwork in the world, with more than forty of his works.
3. The original Amber Room in Catherine Palace was dubbed the “eighth wonder of the world”.
4. The original Amber Room consisted of six tons of precious amber. Historians estimate that the amber be worth around $142 million in today’s dollars.
5. The courtyard of the Catherine Palace covers an area of 11,000 square metres (118,000 square feet.)