Did you know..
1. Venice is made up of 118 islands that are separated by canals and connected by over four hundred bridges.
2. Venice is the birthplace of Baroque composer, Antonio Vivaldi, who is best known for composing the violin concerto – the Four Seasons.
3. The Bridge of Sighs in Venice connects the Palace of the Doges and the prison, over the Rio di Palazzo canal. The name is based on a legend, in which prisoners used to cross the bridge to the prison and sigh after seeing the outside world for the last time.
4. On the map, Venice appears to be shaped like a fish.
5. The Black Plague wiped out one third of Venice’s population in the 17th century.