6 egg yolks
125g caster sugar
1/2 vanilla pod
For the chocolate cake:
250g chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
5 egg yolks
50g plain flour
- Your first job is to line some metal moulds with baking paper and put onto a lined tray.
- Place a wide based pan 1/3 full of water on the stove. Put chocolate in a stainless bowl and melt over the simmering water.
- Whilst chocolate is melting put the eggs, yolks and sugar into the mixer and whisk until fluffy and holds a figure 8 on the surface.
- Once chocolate is melted, take off the heat and stir the butter through.
- Pour 1/3 of the egg mix into the chocolate and fold through, repeat this twice more. Once everything is mixed together, sift in the flour and fold through.
- Pour the mix into the moulds, just under the lip. Put into the freezer straight away.
- Once frozen, the cakes are then placed into a 180°C oven for about 15 minutes. The cakes should rise up and be firm on the sides and soft in the middle. When cooked, carefully remove the moulds and paper.
- Put onto a plate and zest some orange rind over the top, scatter some dried berries around and dust with cocoa powder.
Serve a jar of custard on the side. These cakes will last for at least a month in the freezer.