4 whole lamb necks
1 cup yoghurt
Parsley or coriander
For the spice mix:
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 star anise
1 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp paprika
1 clove garlic
- Toast all spices until fragrant. Grind to a fine powder. Put water into the sous-vide machine and set to 65°C.
- De-bone the necks, separate the two neck fillets and clean away any excess fat making sure to remove the spinal cord.
- Mix two table-spoons of the spice mix with 1 cup of yoghurt. Marinate the necks with the spiced yoghurt, a generous pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil.
- Place necks into a cry vac bag and seal on a medium to high setting.
- Once vacced, place into the water bath and cook for 4 hours.
- Once cooked remove from bags a drain well. In a hot pan or on a BBQ seals all side well to achieve a ‘roasty’ flavour.
- Carve into slices and serve on a large platter.
Garnish with a sprinkle of sumac, herbs, chunks of lemon and a bowl of yoghurt on the side.