Dr Robert Ballard is the greatest underwater explorer of his generation. But he reckons the tough job of shining a light into the abyss has only just begun. The oceans cover 71 percent of the planet – a mere 5 percent of which has been explored. In that 5 percent, Ballard has found the Titanic, the Bismarck, the carrier Yorktown and entirely new forms of life. Just think of what’s waiting for us in the remaining 95 percent!
Never miss a Nat Geo moment
Join our curious community and you'll have access to some great features!
Personalised content reflecting your interests on the site
Watch exclusive videos before anyone else
Favourite content that you like or want to check out later
Free SMS and Email reminders so you never miss a show
Get notified when content that interests you is published
Share your photos on Snap! that could appear on TV
Share your thoughts and opinions on various matters
Receive a monthly newsletter with loads of great content